When you feel so all alone and you know your light is dim--
Turn your face toward the SON and let your heart seek Him.

~Sarah Leathers

Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Father, we have no lamb..."
I want you to stop....clear your mind of every distraction...and picture with me a man named Abraham who waited so many years for a son. God gave him his boy, and the boy grew into a young man who was the apple of his father's eye. Each day Abraham basked in the glow of his son, even those days that most assuredly arose when Isaac let the goats out accidentally, back-talked his mother, or rubbed his toe in the dirt while telling a lie. Abraham loved his son--
Then God asked Abraham to do something unusual. God wanted Abraham to take his son, his long awaited for son, to the top of a mountain and sacrifice him there. Abraham could have balked, argued, or fought back. But in that moment he chose to love his God with reckless abandon--even if that abandonment meant the life of his son.
So Abraham left, taking with him Isaac and a few servants. When they reached the foot of the mountain, Abraham told the servants to wait...and they would be back. *note that Abraham believed he and his son would both be back* As they began to climb the rough rocks, Isaac said, "But father, we have no lamb..." To which Abraham responded, "Don't worry, kid. God will provide the lamb." Isaac helped his father build the altar, stone by stone. Then he stood motionless as his father bound him hand and foot. Now think about this: at this point in the story, Isaac was no little baby. He was a young man--very capable of overpowering his aging father. And most likely, Abraham could not lift his son onto that pile of rocks. Isaac would have had to climb there himself. What a huge amount of faith on the part of Isaac. As he watched the light gleam off the blade of that knife, Isaac probably closed his eyes and waited....and in that moment, God responded.
God provided the lamb for Abraham and Isaac. And not just on that mountain. Here is the symbolism I just love....
I had too no lamb....I was bound for eternal destruction because there was no sacrifice for me. I said," Father, I have no lamb." To which my loving God responded," Sarah, I'll provide one." And he did. That perfect sacrifice made on my behalf was the only sacrifice I'll ever need. I was on the altar and God was going to have to punish me....but instead He provided the lamb in the bush...His son, in my stead...
"Father, I had no lamb...."
"Sarah, I know...but I provided one..."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey it is Amy..I am in Abilene and I really do not think you want to move down here!!! It is SO HOT and HUMID and well....girl stay in God's Country!!!! :D :D

Just a hint from one frind to another!!!

Love ya,
Amy

(we are here for the Texas High School Rodeo Finals)

Anonymous said...

Hey it is Amy..I am in Abilene and I really do not think you want to move down here!!! It is SO HOT and HUMID and well....girl stay in God's Country!!!! :D :D

Just a hint from one frind to another!!!

Love ya,
Amy

(we are here for the Texas High School Rodeo Finals)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,
I too love the story of Abraham and Isaac! What faith Abraham had in his God, it's really an example for me to follow in my own life.
This is my first time to your blog, but I will be back! It is really great. Keep up the good work!
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,
I too love the story of Abraham and Isaac! What faith Abraham had in his God, it's really an example for me to follow in my own life.
This is my first time to your blog, but I will be back! It is really great. Keep up the good work!
Courtney

Anonymous said...

oops... didn't mean to hit publish twice! sorry! :)

Brianna said...

Hi Sarah,
I just found your blog and I love it...wonderful, encouraging post. Isn't God's Grace amazing?
So...I looked at your profile, and it's kind of funny how close to mine it is! :-) I love reading, piano, Narnia, National Treasure, singing (though I can't sing very well)...
Brianna

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

This post was very good! I haven't been to your blog in a while, I remembered I had it in my link list and stoppped by for a visit :-) Hopefully I will see you on the Quill soon!
Phylicia